Controversial plans to ban the use of electronic cigarettes in some public places have been dropped after confirmation from the First Minister Carwyn Jones.
Speaking on BBC Radio Wales' Sunday Supplement, Carwyn Jones said the public health bill will be tabled again with the e-cigarette ban removed.
As you may remember from our previous post, the bill initially failed to pass by a single vote on the last day of the previous assembly, after new opposition emerged from Plaid Cymru.
Tobacco control action group ASH (Action on Smoking and Health) Wales has like many Welsh vapers welcomed the minister's decision. Chief executive Suzanne Cass said: "The evidence shows that e-cigs are being used as a cessation tool by a significant number of ex-smokers."
Please note we neither cannot nor do not suggest using an electronic cigarette to stop smoking.
Welsh Conservative leader Andrew RT Davies said he was "delighted that Labour has been forced to admit that they won't be pursuing this misguided policy".
The failed vote came despite AMs previously backing revised e-cigarette plans.
At Gamucci we have followed this story from the start back in July 2015, reporting the progress of the bill a number of times – and it is therefore very pleasing that this decision has been made. With opposition from the medical community, public health experts and the general public, it is an important decision that shows change can happen when there is a unified response.
Should the bill have passed it would have been the first of its type in the UK, as currently private businesses are left to set their own regulations in regards to the use of e-cigarettes, with some workplaces encouraging use to make up for the lost working hours of smoking breaks, whilst others including many rail companies have banned them in the same way tobacco cigarettes are.